Getting To Know Uriah Gill

+This+is+Uriah+Gill+with+his+classmates+from+math+class.

Getting To Know Uriah Gill

This is Uriah Gill with his classmates from math class.

Mary Skochko

Mary Skochko

Mary Skochko

Mary Skochko, Staff Writer

The United States, the land of the “Melting Pot”. We often take this idea of the melting pot for granted. But it is important for us to meet and be friends with those who have immigrated here. It can help us to think outside our context and see what a blessing it is to live in the United States. I interviewed a student, Uriah Gill, who is a senior at Farmington High School to tell me about his story of coming to the US and his plan for the future. Uriah is seventeen years old and was born in Curitiba Parana, Brazil. He shared some information about Brazil to me. In his words, “Brazil has a distinct social class. The rich are rich and poor are poor. There are lazy Brazilians and there are very hard working Brazilian.” Brazil’s wealth tends to focus in the southern part of Brazil. These areas would mainly be at Rio de Janeiro, Parana, São Paulo, Santa Catarina, among others. Uriah also noted that Brazil has its culture and history based on slavery and pillaging. Most Brazilians are a mixture of black and white nationalities. He grew up in a very large family that has ten siblings with the age range of thirty-four to seventeen. He is the youngest of them all. He knows several languages like English, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian.  I asked Uriah about his favorite experience living in Brazil, he said “ My favorite experience was my trip to northern Brazil where I stayed at my aunt’s house on the beach. It was very desolate and the local people were very friendly.” When Uriah first moved to the US, he and his family lived in Hitterdal, Minnesota and then they moved to Pensacola, Florida, but not for long. About after a year, his family moved back to Brazil. Uriah then explained to me the reason why he move to US, ”I moved to the US because I wanted to finish high school as I had been homeschooled for two years in Brazil after finishing Brazilian elementary. And I chose to attend Farmington High School because my uncle and aunt live in Farmington and they offered to host me for the school year.” As a senior, Uriah stated that he really enjoys going to Farmington High School and singing in the choir at school. I asked Uriah about his plans after graduating high school. He said, “After high school I will go to Brazil for a month to visit friends and family. Then I will return to the US to go to college and pursue a degree in law. Although I am not sure where exactly I will go to college yet.” Uriah compared Brazil to the US and figured out that it would be best to live in the US to pursue his dreams and permanently live here. Uriah is just one of the many examples of those who have come to America and enjoy what it has to offer. Learning about others help us to not think narrowly but see the larger picture in the general scheme of things.

Mary Skochko, Staff Writer

Hello my name is Mary Skochko and I’m a senior at Farmington High School. Next year, I plan on furthering my education in a medical assistant program,...

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Clubs & Organizations

Rouge Robotics

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Boys Lacrosse

Boys LAX: Coach Dunnigan is Ready For The Season

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Current Events

The Shadow Box – 2019 Spring Play

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

FCCLA/Hero

FCCLA Valentines Grams

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Arts

All-State Choir Participants 2018

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Theatre

Click Here To Read More

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Girls Basketball

Girl’s Basketball: Undefeated streak

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Academics

A Students View

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

FCCLA/Hero

FCCLA goes to Feed My Starving Children

• Getting To Know Uriah Gill

Academics

Welcome Mr. Klein!

Getting To Know Uriah Gill