Mock Trial: A “Daunting Experience”

Mock Trial: A “Daunting Experience”

Angela Hernandez, Staff Writer

Have you ever thought of joining Mock Trial…but aren’t quite sure what’s in store? Mock Trial is a competitive “sport” for those who want to improve on their public speaking, writing, and creative thinking. It can also be for those who are looking for something fun to do after school. This is a great way to meet new people and build long lasting relationships. To learn more about the Mock Trial “experience”, I sat down with Gavin Mallot, one of the Senior Captains of this school year.

Gavin began Mock Trial at the beginning of the 2014 – 2015 school year, as a sophomore. I asked him what made him join Mock Trial and how it has impacted his life. He explained “I joined because a lot of my friends were in mock trial and wanted me to join mock trial… it’s helped my public speaking and grow in confidence and made me a better writer.” All great skills that anyone would benefit from.

I also asked Mr. Mallot about his favorite and least favorite part about Mock Trial, what I found out was interesting, “My favorite part about mock trial is everyone in mock trial and getting to know them and competing against others in schools, and my least favorite about mock trial would be the stress of the competitions because of the real lawyers and judges. It’s a daunting experience“, Mr. Mallot said.

But don’t let that stop you from joining. Mock Trial is a great experience and anyone interested should definitely join. I asked Gavin what he thinks about others joining Mock Trial. “Definitely do it, because it helps you in a lot of areas that will benefit you for the rest of your life.” As a fellow mocklete, anyone interested should definitely join.