Girl’s Basketball Captain: Molly Mogensen

Ellie Seyfert, Staff Writer

Junior Guard and Captain Molly Mogensen has had a love for basketball from a young age. Molly has been playing basketball since first grade and started playing on the high school team in seventh grade. She dedicates a lot of her time to the sport by playing, watching, practicing, and being around the game. Even outside of the high school season, Molly plays basketball all winter and summer, including her playing AAU basketball for the Minnesota Fury. Besides basketball, she also plays softball for the high school in the spring and still manages to do well in school. I asked Molly if it’s difficult for her to balance sports, school, and activities. “Balancing school and basketball can be very hard. My classes right now are tough so I have to use my time during class and the time I get at home as well. I also give myself mental breaks so I don’t get too stressed out during the season.”  Whenever she can catch some free time on her hands, Molly enjoys reading, being outside, and even competing in a game of whiffle ball against her siblings. Although she enjoys her free time, her biggest passion is basketball. “My favorite thing about basketball is the way you have to analyze the game. I love it because I feel like I’m in my own world when I’m playing ball. I don’t have to worry about anything else. Basketball brings me comfort and I don’t feel out of place when I have a ball in my hands or on the court, it feels like home.” So far the girls this season are currently holding a record of 17-2 and have competed in most games at a high level. Molly and the team have a very close bond with one another. Junior Guard Morgan Ebel said, “Molly is hands down the hardest worker I have ever met in my life, in basketball and as a person. Everyone knows she’s amazing on the court, but off of the court she is down to earth and a humble person.” Molly’s plans for the future are playing basketball for a four year college but is undecided where. Her biggest supporters in her life are God, her parents, teammates, and coaches. “God has given me the gift to play the sport I love, so I praise him by using those gifts to the best of my ability. My parents have made so many sacrifices for me and have pushed me to become the best player I can be. I’m always supported in anything I do so I couldn’t be more thankful. My teammates and coaches are the ones who are making me better on the court every single day and believe in me.” Everyone is supporting you Molly and we can’t wait to see what your future holds for you!