The Civilian Marksmanship Program

Allie Myrah, Staff Writer

The Civilian Marksmanship Program trains U.S. citizens in the responsible use of firearms and airguns through firearm safety classes and marksmanship training with competitions. These competitions are varying levels of difficulty depending on what category you are in, depending on age and if you are sporter (a shooter with less experience and more interested in the fun), or precision (a shooter that is more invested in the sport, including nicer and more equipment and more time spent practicing). There are different types of guns people choose to shoot with, there are air rifles, smallbore (.22 rifle), and pistol. All of these types of guns are used in different types of competitions. People choose to compete in these competitions because there are chances to earn scholarships with schools if you continue shooting through your high school and college years and there is also the chance to go to the Olympics. I asked my shooting coach, Tim Cagney what he believed was an important skill learned through shooting and he responded by saying “Shooting teaches patience.” If you want to join a CMP program you can go to the American Legion closest to you, of visit their website to find information about joining.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program