Walk For Water

Nicole Grundman, Staff Writer

Could you ever imagine having to walk miles and miles just to get your water for the day? Well, girls in Kenya have to do this everyday, and the water they get is not even clean water. In support of girls in Kenya walking every day to get their water, Farmington High School’s We Create Change group is hosting a Walk for Water event. The Walk for Water event is on April 27th from 8:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. on the Farmington High School Outdoor track.  At this event you will walk for 15 minutes in support of the girls in Kenya who are walking everyday for water. When talking to Mrs. Beckman about why Farmington High School decided to do the Walk for Water she stated, “the group we do it through wanted this to be an event that schools all across America and Canada will do. They might not all do identical events but they will all be similar.” During the Walk for Water fundraiser, you will have the opportunity to donate money.  When I asked Mrs. Beckman where the village is that we are supporting she said, “it will be our adopted village in Kenya, Kipsongal. Every $25 donated allows one villager water for a year. Farmington High School’s goal is to raise $5,000 which will allow 200 villagers with water for life.” This is Farmington High School’s first Walk for Water event and I hope to see many of you there on April 27th at Farmington High School’s outdoor track. If it is raining this day don’t worry. They will be moving the walk to the indoor track that is located above the main gyms.  If you want any additional information about this event go see Mrs. Beckmann in room 3312.