FHS Science Olympiad

Lauryn Olson, Staff Writer

I had the opportunity to catch up with Morgan Weberg, a junior at Farmington high school. Among many other activities such as choir, soccer, NHS and Link crew Morgan participates in Science Olympiad. Science Olympiad is an after school extracurricular that involves many aspects of the scientific process. Participants complete many tasks such as researching a topic and working with a partner to complete a task. As a member of Science Olympiad you choose an event you want to participate in, most events have two to three people involved. This year Farmington has competed in a South Suburban Conference meet and ranked 6th out of the 14 teams. They leave for Rochester at 7 AM this Saturday to participate in the Regional Competition. All members have high hopes of qualifying this year, just as they did for the first time last year.

Morgan explained to me what an amazing experience she has had so far on the team, “I decided to join the team because I really love science. Ever since I’ve taken AP Biology, I really grew an interest in science and I wanted to do something with that interest. I love the variety of events you can compete in and it’s a great way to do something different.” After asking what her favorite aspect is of Science Olympiad she responded, “My favorite part about the club is that you get to hang with your friends and compete in events. It’s a good feeling when you have put in a lot of hard work and you go home with a third place finish. I just love to use my love for science and a competition to be successful.” Morgan is currently competing in Chemistry Lab and Write-It Do-It. Chemistry Lab is a chemistry based event where you have to complete tasks or answer questions about thermodynamics and physical properties. The Write-IT Do-It consists of walking into a room and having 20 minutes to write down directions for how to build some object that has been placed in front of you. After your 20 minutes your partner comes in and tries to build the object by only viewing the directions you wrote without looking at the original object.

Morgan is a very dedicated student and athlete and through it all she still has time to compete, can you? “Science Olympiad is a club for everyone because there are many, many events that one could compete in. I recommend it to these who like science and want extra involvement with it. It takes a lot of effort outside of school so you have to make sure you can manage that with all your other homework and involvements. I’m still trying to work on that one.” Although it is a lot of work outside of school, it is an amazing opportunity. “By joining the team you gain a sense of belonging. A club doesn’t come around often where you are tested academically and on your ability to handle new challenges mentally.” If you are ready to work hard and gain a whole new team of friends Science Olympiad is the team for you!

• FHS Science Olympiad

Top Stories

Winter Running Club

• FHS Science Olympiad

Farmington Community

Calling all royalty!

• FHS Science Olympiad

Featured FHS Students

Getting To Know Uriah Gill

• FHS Science Olympiad

Arts

Farmington High School’s One Act Play

• FHS Science Olympiad

Marching Band

The Story of Farmington:Color Guard

• FHS Science Olympiad

Clubs & Organizations

Farmington Diversity Club

• Tiger Happenings

Coco and Cram

• FHS Science Olympiad

Football

Turning the Field into the Beach

• FHS Science Olympiad

Farmington Community

Every Drop Counts

• FHS Science Olympiad

Softball

Girls Softball Makes it to state

FHS Science Olympiad