Farmington Diversity Club

Farmington Diversity Club

This is a group picture of the students and teachers involve in the  Diversity Club.

This is a group picture of the students and teachers involve in the Diversity Club.

Mary Skochko

Mary Skochko

Mary Skochko

Mary Skochko, Staff Writer

White and black. Male and female. Poor and rich. Diversity is all around us and our school brings all the various aspects together. In Farmington High School, we have a Diversity Club that is organized by Mr. Williams, Mr. Bertucci, Mr. Mead, Mr. Yonker, Mrs. Thomas, and Madame Deer. They welcome anyone and everyone to join this club. Diversity Club meets every Tuesday at 3:15 in Mr. Bertucci’s room 2208. Many people don’t know what diversity is and why we have this club in our high school. Diversity club is a place where they learn to respect any and all backgrounds and cultures. They mostly talk and teach about problems with dealing with race, how to deal with it in different situations, why diversity is needed, and ideas for upcoming events or activities. They are also taught to handle people who don’t treat others with respect because of the color of their skin, accent, or anything else that sets them apart. Their mission is to celebrate the difference from their own group and broaden qualities other than race and gender.
Diversity Club does many things together. On one of the days when I came, they had a potluck. It was very interesting to see students bring their own traditional cultural food. During the potluck, I got to spend some time learning about the importance of the diversity club. They believe that the importance of this club is to teach others about different cultures and races. From my perspective, during the potluck, everyone was friendly, having a good time with one another, and helping each other out. I got to interview some students about their thoughts of the club. I asked if they think this club is beneficial for students at Farmington High School. One of the student that I had interviewed said many things of how she believes that this club is beneficial. She said, “Diversity Club is very beneficial to students at FHS because during elementary school to middle school, I rarely saw other African Americans in my classes. Most of the time, I was the only black person in my class and to this day I still am in most of my classes. So having group where I can see people that are similar to me and people that are interested in learning about different races is very beneficial.” The goal is for students to drive the club, learn from activities, events, and trips. Then to apply it into their lives. They are always concerned about whether people in school are treated right with respect.
I really enjoyed spending my evening with this club because I got to meet new people, see my teachers from the past, learn about the diversity club, and take pictures. I am looking forward in the future to meet with this club again and see this group expand more, along with it developing new events and activities for the school.

Mary Skochko, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Mary Skochko and I'm a junior at Farmington High School.  This is my first year creating the yearbook for the school as well as writing...

• Farmington Diversity Club

Top Stories

Trimester One Coming to an End

• Marching Band

FHS Marching Band Indoor Show

• Farmington Diversity Club

A & E News

Fields of Faith

• Farmington Diversity Club

Fall Sports

Girls Soccer Gives Back

• Farmington Diversity Club

Top Stories

FHS Marching Band Attending 14th Annual Youth in Music Band Championships

• Farmington Diversity Club

Current Events

Tigers Football Take Home a Win

• Farmington Diversity Club

Arts

Arts and Agriculture

• Farmington Diversity Club

Academics

Bridges 2018

• Farmington Diversity Club

District News

Farmington to play at Vikings training facility

• Student Life

Mrs.Carlson

Farmington Diversity Club